Wednesday, January 25, 2012

THE PLEASURES OF TEA

If you are cold tea will warm you;
if you are depressed it will cheer you;
if you are excited it will calm you.

WILLIAM GLADSTONE
(1809 - 1898)

Making  a good pot of tea requires filling the kettle with cold water.

I chose English Breakfast Tea for our tea today.
I use the old fashion plan in making the pot of tea;
allow one teaspoonful for each person and one over.


As soon as your water comes to a rolling boil pour
it over your tea leaves; covering pot with lid and letting it steep.

This is the transformative moment when the oxygen of the boiling water allows the tea leaf to release its flavor.
"The leaves  may appear tormented and miserable, like autumn leaves in a storm, but they may also look
dancing and fanciful, " writes Helen Gustafson.

You need to warm your teapot you will be serving the steeped tea in with boiling water, allowing to warm for a minute or two.

After the tea has steeped for five or so minutes you can strain it into your warm teapot.

Look how the tea leaves puffed up!

Pouring Cindy Lou a "cuppa".

Cindy Lou


We are drinking our tea the English way, with a little sugar and milk.

Now for a Tea Party!
I have set the table the night before.


These are the fruits I will be using for our "sweets" and finger sandwiches.

The cucumber tea sandwich is my favorite!

Lemon Curd waiting patiently in the refrigerator.

Gwynn and Darby

Lemon Curd tarts!


I'm holding little cream puffs filled with
strawberries and cream.




"Somehow, taking tea together encourages an atmoshere of intimacy when you slip off
 the timepiece in your mind and cast your fate to a delight of tasty tea, tiny foods,
and thoughtful conversation".  - Gail Greco





It was a delightful afternoon!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! The pictures are so crisp and clear I feel as if I could reach in and grab those treats! Wish I could. Love the way you tell the story of how to make the tea. I smiled delightedly so many times during this post, too fun! You are certainly the "madam" of tea time! Fabulous job!!!

    ps...everyone...Karen Lou made all those treats from scratch. Even the lemon curd! Not a costco find in the bunch. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so beautifuland gentile, Karen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my all time favorite post. I'm aching to be there! Everything looks so wonderful and warm. I loved the tea quotes and how to's, I took notes :) Cucumber sandwiches are my favorite too (especially the way you make them)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    Thank-you all for reading post and taking time to comment!
    Must give my Blog Partner a big applause!
    Used some of her wonderful photographs...
    And patience with me as I worked out some glitches!
    Thank-you Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, I think this is my all time favorite post too!! I can't stop smiling when I look at it. And I've looked at it a lot! I forgot to mention in my earlier comment how much I enjoyed the quotes, it makes me wish there was more. Part 2 anyone? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't looked at blogs for donks. Been otherwise occupied. But I have been missing out by the looks of things. I am so jealous of your lovely tea party. You've done such a wonderful job. And done with such love and panache. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy you are so sweet! We've been missing you too! Welcome back. Wish you could come to the next tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you you Sandy!
    I understand you not wanting to Blog but we should exchange e-mails
    so
    you could send us some of your favorite things and interests -

    ReplyDelete